Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Alternate Resolution: The public folder database contains folder replicas


I had a rather complex Exchange environment. I started with an Exchange 2010 server which I configured in a hybrid exchange configuration with Office 365, then later added an Exchange 2016 server on premise. I wanted to remove the Exchange 2010 server leaving just the Exchange 2016 server and Office 365 in a hybrid environment. However, I kept getting the error below when I was trying to remove the Exchange 2010 Public Folder database.

The public folder database ‘Public Folder Database’ cannot be deleted.
Public Folder Database
Failed
Error:
The public folder database “Public Folder Database” contains folder replicas. Before deleting the public folder database, remove the folders or move the replicas to another public folder database. For detailed instructions about how to remove a public folder database, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=81409&clcid=0x409.
I had already removed all of the public folders, but the error was persistent. However, my Google foo pulled up this resolution buried in a comment on the 300th page I looked at. This worked for me, hopefully it can help you too.

Set-OrganizationConfig -PublicFolderMigrationComplete $True

Remove-PublicFolderDatabase "Public Folder Database" -RemoveLastAllowed

****Use at your own risk****